- Time to cook:
- 45 minutes
The ingredients for this recipe provide a good source of folate.
- 225g (8oz) Lean smoked back bacon rashers
- 1kg (2.2lb) Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 Parsnips, peeled and chopped
- ½ Swede, peeled and chopped
- 450g (1lb) Green cabbage, roughly shredded
- 1 Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 x 15mlsp (2tbsp) Tomato ketchup
- 5mlsp (1tsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 25g ( 1oz) Plain flour
- 15ml (1tbsp) Oil
Place the potatoes and swede in a large pan and cover with cold water. Bring the water to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for a further 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Dry fry the bacon rashers until crisp. Remove from the pan, add the onion and cook until browned.
Drain the vegetables and mash with a potato masher. Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning and flour and mix throughly.
Press the mixture into a large frying pan. Cook over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the sides and edges are golden. Top with the bacon rashers and grill for 5 minutes until the top of the squeak is golden brown.
Serve spoonfuls of the 'squeak' with a poached egg and your favourite ketchup.
Per portion: (525g)
Energy 1562kJ / 370cal
Fat 9g, of which saturates 2g
Carbohydrate 54g, of which sugars 10g