Healthy Diet and Lifestyle
Enjoy a healthy diet and lifestyle
Food, nutrition and exercise are crucial to our general health and well being. Making the right choice of foods and drinks and taking regular exercise can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and many common cancers as well as other diseases such as osteoporosis (brittle bones).
Healthy eating and drinking is the cornerstone of a healthy lifestyle for you and your family.
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?
- Eating more of some items
- Eating a little less of others
- Knowing more about food
- Making small gradual changes
- Altering food shopping patterns
- Enjoying your food
- Enjoying being active
WHAT IS IT NOT ABOUT?
- Cutting out tasty food
- Avoiding favourite foods
- Having less food
- Going hungry
- Making major changes
- Spending more money on food
- Becoming super fit
- Not enjoying food
- Look better and feel better
- Feel fitter and have more energy
- Better weight control
- Improved body shape
- Reduced stress and improved mood
Food energy is measured in calories. If you have more calories than your body needs, it is stored as fat and you put on weight. Being too fat or too thin is not good for your health.
- To lose weight you need to eat fewer calories
- Fill up on starchy foods, fruit and vegetables
- Eat less sugar and sugary drinks
- Eat less fat and fatty foods
- Go easy on alcohol!
- Being physically active helps to keep a healthy weight
There are no healthy or unhealthy foods – only healthy or unhealthy diets. It is important to enjoy your food and to enjoy being active.
- Enjoy a variety of different foods
- Eat the right amount to be a healthy weight
- Eat plenty of foods rich in starch and fibre
- Eat at least five fruit and vegetable portions a day
- Eat moderate amounts of lean meat and alternatives
- Eat or drink moderate amounts of lower-fat milk and dairy foods
- Eat fatty food sparingly and choose lower-fat alternatives
- Good dental hygiene reduces tooth decay
- Use less salt at the table and when cooking
- Drink plenty of fluid – 6-10 cups or glasses a day
- Handle food hygienically
- Enjoy being active